Musculoskeletal disorders are a group of medical diseases that affect the skeletal muscle system, including joints, tendons, and ligaments, these disorders can affect anyone, but are usually linked to work and is considered as an occupational disease.
The frequently affected areas are the neck, shoulders, back and upper limbs, the lower limbs are usually less frequently affected. The evolution of the disease depends on the type of work involved and the medical care provided.
Frequent symptoms in musculoskeletal disorders
The symptoms of musculoskeletal disorders should be addressed in time, as they are evidence that the skeletal or muscular structure is suffering considerable damage.
Depending on the area affected by the musculoskeletal disorder there may be characteristic symptoms, but musculoskeletal disorder usually presents these symptoms in common.
- Pain when mobilizing the affected area, the pain is usually intense at night, because daily work activity prolongs the inflammatory process, in the morning the pain occurs with less intensity due to muscle rest.
- Limitation of movement: due to pain, movements of the affected area are restricted, this limits the functional capacity of the patient.
- Inflammation, the area may have a visible increase in size, such as tendinitis, or it may not be visible, such as cervicalgia.
- Sensory alterations, inflammation of the affected area can press on the nearby nerves, producing tingling, numbness and decreased sensation, this occurs by compression and irritation of the nerve, occurs frequently in skeletal muscle disorders that involve the neck, back or hands.
Frequent musculoskeletal disorders
- Rotator cuff tendonitis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Low back pain
Treatment of musculoskeletal disorders
Musculoskeletal disorders require immediate treatment, the patient’s pain is limiting and if not treated correctly it can cause disability for the patient. Physical therapists at Source Physical Therapy and Wellness in Arlington, VA are specialists in the management of these pathologies.
- Multidisciplinary management by specialized physiotherapists.
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatories to reduce pain and facilitate therapy.
- Source Physical Therapy and Wellness in Arlington, VA offers specialized physiotherapy to reduce inflammation and help restore mobility.
- Physiotherapists at the Source Physical Therapy and Wellness center will teach you the proper posture techniques for office work and home rehabilitation exercises to optimize the recovery process.